Thursday, June 30, 2011

Where Are They Now?



I’d like to introduce a new blog feature called “Where Are They Now?” in which we’ll take the opportunity to catch up with performers and authors who have previously graced the stage of Edmond J. Safra Hall.

I bet that those of you that came to the Museum in February 2010 to hear Adam Mansbach speak about his poignant novel, The End of The Jews, thought he was a wonderful writer with a lot of interesting things to say about race and culture. I bet they didn’t realize that they were listening to a future New York Times bestselling “children’s” book author extraordinaire with a wicked sense of humor that would make pundits cringe and critics rave.

For those of you either without kids or under a rock, Adam’s new book, Go the F*** to Sleep, is a literary sensation and for good reason. It captures those late night feelings of frustration that come with having little ones. You can watch Samuel L. Jackson read it online, or purchase a copy yourself, as I did for my husband for Father’s Day. We laughed so hard we almost cried and woke the baby up, which may have been worth it.

Filmmaker Gayle Kirschenbaum was last seen here at the first New York’s Best Emerging Jewish Artists showcase when she presented her short film My Nose, which Associated Press calls “funny, sad, candid and insightful.” Since then, she has received an outpouring of support for her original film which was a humorous portrayal of her mother’s quest to pressure her into having a nose job.

Gayle writes, “Audience members all over the world told me how they related to my story and wanted to know how I could even be around my mother much less love her. I knew it was time to answer their questions in a film and the only way to do that was to go deep into our relationship. My mother agreed to allow me in with cameras rolling for nearly the last eight years.” Gayle is now actively trying to finish a full length film entitled My Nose: The Bigger Version. She has even become an accidental therapist who teaches people “The Seven Healing Tools” on how to transform difficult relationships.

We wish Adam and Gayle the best of luck in their new endeavors.

Images: Gayle and her mom; Go the F*** to Sleep cover

No comments: