Monday, August 15, 2011

Gifts Galore

If somebody told me that I could go to the New York International Gift Fair and pick out jewelry to my heart’s content, I’d ask, “Is that before the personal masseuse shows up or after I consume my weight in chocolate with no perceptible difference in my waistline?”

Well, no masseuse is to be found, but yesterday I braved the elements and armed with instructions from Warren Shalewitz, our Pickman Museum Shop manager, I went to the show to buy new jewelry for our shop.


The fair takes place at the Javits Center and offers 2,800 exhibitors the chance to sell their wares to shops and stores of all kinds. Here’s a preview of what’s “in store” (or will be soon).


  • If you appreciate shiny objects the way I do, you will love some of the youthful necklaces created by AlefBet – perfect for the Bat Mitzvah in your life.


  • Ayala Bar, whose work we have carried for years, had some very exciting rings, earrings, and bracelets that remind me of fabulous wallpaper or gift wrap or amazing textiles.


  • If you’ve admired vintage long chains in magazines that look as if themed charms and amulets hang delicately from them, you’ll want to see the very spiffy necklaces from Amaro. They will look perfect with a black turtleneck sweater.

Alas, today I have traded in my shopping bag for an editor’s pen, but when these items come in, we’ll put them on the website for all to enjoy. All proceeds from items sold in the Pickman Museum Shop help fund the Museum’s educational programs.


Amaro amulet pictured above.


No comments: