Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just In time for the Seder, Passover Haiku

In the Communications Department, we are fans of haiku, the Japanese poem of three lines consisting of five, seven, and then five syllables with a reference to the seasons or nature, and a comparison or contrast between images. I think we are fans because one has to convey a great idea or image in 17 syllables. One is forced to be pithy and precise, and we like that. A lot.


The Washington Jewish Week and the Washington DC JCC managed to combine two of our favorite things: Passover and haiku. Apparently inspired by the cherry blossoms in bloom, the good folks in DC held their first Passover haiku contest in March and announced the winner s this week. The contest had an added twist: the poems had to reference one of the four children of Passover. I have written my share of Passover haiku over the years (really), but never thought anyone would appreciate them. I missed my chance.


I have to say that the winners wrote some pretty serious haiku, but I particularly like this one:


Though we're all grown up,
We snicker when our brother
Gets the wicked son.
- Amy Finkelstein

You can see them for yourself here.

In the spirit of the holiday and the contest, here are some from my personal archives, and I hope you will add your own in the comment section.


Matzoh , charoset
Some brisket and chicken soup
Let my people eat


Drink four cups of wine
Where did we hide that matzoh?
Make your Exodus


Wishing you and yours a zissen Pesach.


Photo courtesy the Washington, DC JCC.

1 comment:

lita said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.