Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We Are Giving Thanks


As we approach Thanksgiving, we have a lot to be grateful for this year. We hope you do, too. In this spirit, we would like to share some things that we feel especially blessed having in our lives this season. On the top of this list is, of course, that our Museum family, our building, and our artifacts escaped Superstorm Sandy virtually unscathed thanks to incredible efforts by so many. We would also be remiss if we didn’t mention that we are extremely grateful for our readers, volunteers, supporters, and members today and every day.
 
From our staff:

In the aftermath of the storm, despite all the chaos, I was grateful that the New York Times continued to deliver my paper to the door step even though everything else was closed. It was the first sign that things would be going back to normal.  Betsy
I’m grateful for—and to—my colleagues, whose dedication to the Museum was particularly evident in the face of natural disaster.  Anita

I am grateful that while my neighbor did a mitzvah by letting her crabby, boring coworker, who was without power after the storm, stay at her apartment, I was hosting a displaced friend who was “fun.” Sharon

I am grateful for my Communications department colleagues who manage to squeeze so much  creativity and productiveness into every single day, fueled only by copious amounts of caffeine, sugar, and dedication. Betsy

I am thankful for: being out of harm’s way during Hurricane Sandy, family, working subway lines, old friends in far off places calling to see if we are okay, and chocolate.  Lisa

I am thankful for all the freedoms we take for granted as Americans. Sharon
I’m thankful for Thanksgiving traditions – such as my parents not having to decide between turkey and sushi because they can have both.  Keika

I am thankful for the extraordinary sunsets that I witness here, reminding me to reflect on the people in my life who bring me joy, and to remember those I have lost.  Abby S
I am grateful to have a warm place to go home to each night. Regina

I am thankful for: being out of harm’s way during Hurricane Sandy, family, working subway lines, old friends in far off places calling to see if we are okay, and chocolate.  Lisa

In this week’s Torah portion, Jacob’s twelve sons and one daughter are born. One son who will play a prominent role later on is Judah. This name is derived from the Hebrew word “to thank.” His mother, Leah, explains that she named him Judah, because “This time I will thank God.” Gratitude is fundamental aspect of Judaism and for Jews Thanksgiving is another great opportunity to give thanks for health, family and friends. Paul
Feel free to offer your own thoughts in the comments section, and have a wonderful and meaningful holiday.

 Photo by Sota Dzine.

No comments: